Are you a kennel?
We provide pet sitting services in your own home. We believe pets that stay in their own environment are happier and healthier than pets who stay in kennels or other boarding facilities.
Are you licensed, bonded and insured?
As a professional pet sitting and dog walking company, we are fully licensed, bonded and insured for your protection. Before hiring any pet sitter or dog walker, you should always ask for proof of licensing and insurance.
What types of pets do you care for?
We care for just about any type of animal. We have experience caring for dogs, cats, horses, goats, snakes, turtles, reptiles, ferrets, pigs, gerbils, mice, sugar gliders, prairie dogs and others. Have a unique animal? Just ask us!
What do you do for my pet while you're in my home?
The comfort and safety of your pet in our #1 priority. Our sitters will follow a detailed checklist to ensure your pet’s routine is followed during each visit. Our sitters adhere to the following standards at each visit:
- Check gates to ensure they are secured before letting dogs outside.
- Outside playtime is supervised.
- We do not allow dogs to interact with other dogs while walking in the neighborhood. This is for their own safety.
- We clean messy paws before letting dogs back in the house.
- We provide access to fresh water after walking and outdoor playtime.
- Feeding is supervised to ensure your pets don’t choke on their food.
- Adhere to any special diets.
- At-risk dogs are double-leashed and wear GPS collars while on walks to ensure they always make it back home.
- Our sitters are pet first aid and CPR certified.
- In the event of an emergency, we will take your pet to the veterinarian. While our first option will be to take your pet to the veterinarian of your choice, if they are not open or due to the nature of the emergency, we may take your pet to the nearest 24 hour emergency veterinarian.
- We know every pet is different, so we let your pets dictate how much interaction they’ll have with their pet sitter. If your pet is really shy, your pet sitter will sit quietly and let your pet warm up. We will never chase your pet around the house.
- We will immediately communicate any concerns with you. If we cannot reach you, we will communicate concerns with your emergency contact.
What do your pet sitting services include?
We are a full service pet sitting company. Our pet sitting services are customizable according to the needs of your pets and your home. At the meet and greet we will document your pet’s routine and adhere to that routine while providing services. The following services are included:
- Refreshing food and water
- Letting out for potty time
- Playtime in the yard
- Cleaning up accidents
- Scooping litter boxes
- Pictures and report card via our mobile app after each visit
- Administering medications, including pills, injections, subcutaneous fluids and inhalation treatments
- Checking the mail
- Checking for water leaks in the home
- Providing a security check of the premises including checking the security of windows and all entrances
- Bring in packages
Have other requests? Just ask!
How can I trust your sitters in my home?
Our pet sitters undergo a thorough background check to ensure the safety of your pets and your home.
I need to leave town right away. Can you provide service on short notice?
If you are an established client and have already had a meet-and-greet at your home, we can usually provide service on short notice subject to availability. Of course, the more advance notice we have, the better. If you are a new client, we require a meet-and-greet in your home before we begin services. Please allow at least three business days to get your meet-and-greet scheduled.
Why do I have to do a meet and greet?
The meet and greet allows us to get to know you and your pets. We’ll review your pet’s routine and get a feel for their behavior and interaction with our team. A meet and greet is required of all first time clients. The meet and greet is complimentary when you book 5 or more visits with us.
Do you provide service on holidays?
Yes. We are open 365 days per year. We do charge a $10 per day holiday fee on major holidays: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Eve, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Do I have to give you a key to my home?
We ask that you provide 2 keys to your pet sitter or dog walker. Even if you ask us to enter through an electric garage door or a door code, we still require keys in the event of a malfunction with the garage door. But don’t worry – your keys are kept in a safe, undisclosed location, and your keys will never be tagged with personal identifying information.
If you still do not feel comfortable providing a key, you can chose to purchase a lockbox. We are not responsible for lockbox failures. If you do not provide a key, you will be responsible for any locksmith charges that may be necessary.
At the end of service, most clients opt to have us hold onto their keys in our company safe. This allows for future visits without requiring a key pickup. We do not leave keys behind on the final visit in the event you are delayed returning home. Key pickups and drop offs will incur a standard visit charge.
How will I know when a sitter has been to my home?
Our clients have access to a mobile app that provides you with instant updates on the status of visits to your home. Once we have completed a visit, we will send you a report card including pictures so you’ll never have to wonder how your pets are doing.
Can I tip my sitter?
Tips are by no means required. But if you feel your pet sitter has provided excellent care, tips are certainly appreciated.
Can you take care of my home as well?
When you book our pet sitting and house sitting services, we’ll rotate lights and blinds to give your home a live-in look, check your thermostat, look for water leaks around your washing machine, bring in packages, check the mail, bring in the newspaper. We’ll even be happy to scan your mail and send you a digital copy.
We also offer house sitting services where no pet are present.
Why won't you watch my cat every other day? She's self-sufficient.
We definitely appreciate the value of a dollar and understand that you may be looking for a cost-effective solution to caring for your cat while you’re out of town. However, it is our policy that cats must be visited at least once every 24 hours. There are a few reasons for this.
- We are fully insured and our insurance policy will not cover incidents that occur when a sitter has not visited at least once every 24 hours.
- Consider the case of a kitty we were watching every other day that knocked a hair dryer off the bathroom counter and turned it on. Our cat sitter arrived to a HOT HOUSE meaning the hair dryer had been on for quite some time … on carpet!
- A cat we were watching got stuck behind the refrigerator. Luckily her pet sitter was visiting every 24 hours and the kitty was just fine after being rescued.
- Cats can lock themselves in rooms without access to food and water.
- Cats are social beings and need attention. They are not animals to be left alone for days on end without human interaction.
- Cats need fresh water. Many cats will refuse to drink water if their water is not fresh, even if they have not exhibited this behavior previously.
- Cats are prone to kidney infections and serious conditions can develop quickly. Your pet sitter is trained to be on the lookout for changes in litter box usage and eating patterns which could indicate a serious illness.
We hope you understand that we only have your cat’s best interests at heart. Having a trained pet sitter come to your home and provide lots of love and affection is a bargain considering you don’t have to take the time to take your cat to a kennel, your cat gets to stay in the comfort of its own home, you receive daily photo updates from your sitter and the cost is comparable to taking one cat to a kennel.
What if I'm delayed returning home?
We require all clients to contact us once they’ve arrived back home. If we do not hear from you, we will continue visiting your pets until we hear from you. You can rest easy knowing if you are delayed returning, your pets will continue receiving the best care possible. If you don’t notify us that you’ve returned home, you’ll be charged for additional visits.
Can I drop off my pets at your place?
We do not offer boarding or kenneling services at our location. We are a pet sitting service that allows pets to stay in their own environment while you are away.
What are your service areas?
We provide service within a 15 mile radius of Ogden, UT. Cities covered include: Ogden, Roy, Layton, Syracuse, Uintah, Clinton, West Haven, Clearfield, Riverdale, Washington Terrace, North Ogden and South Ogden. We service most of Weber and Davis counties.
Do I get to meet my pet sitter?
One of the benefits of hiring Away Home & Pet Care is that we work as a team. This means we have backups available in the event your primary sitter has an emergency. One of our managers will visit with you at the meet and greet and get a feel for your pet’s personality. We will then assign the perfect pet sitter for your pets.
If it is critical for you to meet your pet sitter, we offer 30 minute introductions for $25. While we assign a primary pet sitter to care for your pets, we may call upon other team members to provide continuity of care. We do our best to keep the same pet sitter assigned to your pets, but rotation of sitters might be necessary due to the length of your vacation or sitter availability.
It could get costly for you to schedule pet sitter introductions so if having the exact same sitter every single time is essential, you may want to investigate hiring a solo pet sitter. Be sure they have backups available in the event of an emergency.
What is your cancellation policy?
When we book your services, we reserve exclusive time for you and your pets and have likely turned away other clients during this time.
Vacation/Pet Sitting Reservations/Overnights: Our policy applies to the entire reservation invoice amount.
- More than 2 weeks notice: full refund.
- 7-14 days notice: 75% refund. 3-6 days notice: 50% refund.
- Less than 3 days notice: no refund.
If a non-refundable deposit has been requested (primarily for holiday and overnight reservations), a cancellation will result in the forfeiture of the deposit.
Daily Dog Walking: We know plans change. Walks must be cancelled by 8:00 pm the day prior to avoid being charged. Our dog walker’s routes are planned by 8:00 pm the evening prior and cancellations disrupt scheduling and efficient routing.
Reservations are made to plan our availability to clients. Therefore, we do not offer refunds for early arrivals home.
How do I pay my bill?
Payment in full is due prior to services beginning. For vacation pet sitting reservations, invoices are due 3 days before services begin. Daily dog walking clients are billed weekly in advance.
Depending on the service you select, we may require a non-refundable deposit, especially for holiday and overnight bookings. We’ll let you know if this is necessary.
We accept all major credit cards, ACH transfer from a checking account and PayPal.
Can I book services directly with my pet sitter or dog walker?
All reservations must be made through our mobile app or your online client portal. Reservations made outside of our system will not be considered valid, and you will not be covered by Away Home & Pet Care’s insurance and bonding.
I already had a meet and greet and I want my sitter to come back out to my home for another walkthrough. How can I arrange this?
All first time clients receive a complimentary meet and greet when booking at least 5 or more visits. If you’d like your sitter to come back out to your house for additional visits prior to service, we are happy to arrange this. Our standard 30 minute visit charge will apply.
Why do I have to fill out an online profile?
Our clients love the fact that their pet’s routines are clearly documented in our online portal. This ensures pet care instructions are followed and allows us to customize our care according to each pet’s individual needs.
You only need to fill out your profile one time, and if anything changes in the future. Once you complete your profile, we will have all the information we need to provide world-class professional pet care in your home.
Trust us when we say you don’t want a pet sitter driving around with notebooks of pet care instructions. Our system is efficient, safe, and uses bank-level encryption.
What if my pet is injured or my property is damaged?
We are a professional pet sitting and dog walking company. Your pet’s safety is our #1 priority and as such, we invest heavily in our training and we are certified in pet first aid and CPR.
We are also licensed, bonded and insured for your protection. Our insurance covers liability in the event of willful neglect or misconduct by one of our pet sitters or dog walkers.
General Liability coverage for claims due to injury or damages sustained by a third party.
- $1,000,000 per occurrence
- $2,000,000 aggregate limit
- No deductible
ANIMAL BAILEE COVERAGE
Coverage for injuries or damages sustained by an animal in our care, custody, or control.
- $5,000 per occurrence
- $10,000 aggregate
LOST KEY LIABILITY COVERAGE
If we were to lose the keys to a client’s residence, this coverage will cover the cost of installing new locks or having the building rekeyed.
- $2,000 per occurrence
- $2,000 aggregate
What is your inclement weather policy?
We are open 365 days per year.
The safety of your dogs is of the utmost importance to us. Extreme weather conditions and temperatures can harm your dog, therefore the following guidelines are generally adhered to:
1. If the outside temperature is over 90F, we may make some alterations to the typical routine. We may decide to limit outdoor time. We may keep the dog off the hot pavement and instead opt to play some doggie games (fetch, frisbee, etc) in a shaded area. We may let your dog outside for a quick potty break, and spend the rest of the time indoors with the dog, engaging in some training, brushing, de-shedding, or some other activity the dog would find enjoyable.
2. If the outside temperature is below 40F, we may decide to adjust the typical routine similar in nature to #1 above.
3. If it is currently snowing or raining outside, we may still go on our standard walk. We will be sensitive to your dog’s comfort and safety. If your dog displays signs of discomfort, we will bring him to a better suited environment, such as in your home, or in our car to warm up. We will still spend the agreed upon time with your dog – we just want him to be safe and comfortable.
4. If we find it necessary to make adjustments due to extreme weather, we will still spend the agreed amount of time with your pet. The only difference is they may not be out walking for extended periods of time due the dangers extreme weather conditions pose.
How can I get a job working with you?
While it’s true being a pet sitter or dog walker is a fantastic way to earn a living, there is much more involved than “playing with puppies all day.”
All of our pet sitters and dog walkers are required to pass a background check which will include a criminal history check, a reference check, previous employer check and drug screening.
For more information regarding the qualifications to work with us and to see what a day in the life of a pet sitters is like, visit our jobs page.
Get in touch
looking for info?
We offer in-your-home Ogden UT pet sitting and Ogden UT dog walking services and are an alternative to a kennel or boarding. We serve a 10 mile radius of Ogden, Utah.
Text: (801) 436-7387.