As a cat sitter, it is common for us to receive requests for “every other day” or even a couple visits per week from prospective clients. While some may think that this is sufficient for their feline friends, it is important to understand the importance of daily visits for the health and well-being of cats.
Away Home & Pet Care does not offer “every other day” visits for cats under our care. We require a minimum of one visit per day for all our cat sitting clients.
We are often asked why we have such a policy in place. This post will explore the reasoning behind our policy, and we hope to demonstrate our unwavering commitment to the safety and well-being of your kitties.
The Importance of Daily Cat Visits for Safety
Cats are curious creatures that love to explore their environment, but this curiosity can also lead them into dangerous situations. We have been in business for almost two decades, and we see more cats in one week than most clients will own in an entire lifetime. If it can go wrong, we have seen it!
Examples of What Can Go Wrong
- A cat might get stuck in a closet, cupboard, or behind a piece of furniture.
- Your kitty might get their head stuck in a heating vent.
- Did you know cats can actually turn on the water in a kitchen or a bathroom? We have had clients whose cats actually turned on a kitchen sink, and the water overflowed all over the kitchen, ruining the hardwood floors. We have even seen instances of cats turning on a sink on the upper level of a home, ruining the flooring and ceiling below that room.
- Cats love to dig in plants. But they also like to chew on them. A cat could ingest something toxic, and an emergency veterianrian appointment is critical.
- Cats love to play with plastic bags. We have experienced client’s cats getting tangled in the plastic bag – around their neck!
- A cat we were visiting decided to play with a roll of packing tape. Normally, we’d be happy that a cat found something as mundane as a pack of tape to be entertaing; a cheap date! But in this instance, the more the kitty ran around, the tighter the tape became. We arrived just in the nick of time.
Without daily visits from a cat sitter, these situations might go unnoticed for extended periods, putting the cat’s life at risk.
Daily cat visits are particularly important for outdoor cats, who face a range of dangers outside of the home.
Outdoor cats are exposed to risks such as traffic, predators, and poisons, which can cause serious harm or even death. A cat sitter can help to ensure that outdoor cats are safely contained within the boundaries of the property and are not at risk of being hit by a car or attacked by another animal. They can also inspect the property for any potential hazards, such as poisonous plants or sharp objects that could injure the cat.
In addition to physical safety, daily cat visits can also help to provide emotional safety and comfort.
Cats are social creatures and thrive on human interaction and companionship. When left alone for extended periods, cats may become anxious, stressed, or even depressed. This can lead to behavioral issues such as aggression or destructive behavior. A cat sitter can provide comfort and reassurance to the cat, reducing their anxiety and stress levels and preventing negative behaviors.
The Importance of Daily Cat Visits for Health
Cats are creatures of habit and thrive on routine. When left alone for extended periods, they can become stressed and anxious. This can lead to a variety of health problems, including urinary tract infections, digestive issues, and even depression. Daily visits from a cat sitter can help to alleviate these issues by providing companionship and socialization.
The Importance of Daily Cat Visits for Nutrition
Cats are notorious for being picky eaters, and they require a balanced diet to maintain their health. When left alone for extended periods, cats may become stressed and refuse to eat, leading to malnutrition and weight loss. A cat sitter can help to ensure that the cat is eating regularly and getting the proper nutrition they need to stay healthy.
The Importance of Daily Cat Visits for Mental Stimulation
Cats are intelligent animals and require mental stimulation to keep their minds active and healthy. Without daily visits, cats may become bored and develop destructive behaviors such as scratching or chewing on furniture. A cat sitter can provide toys and playtime to keep the cat engaged and mentally stimulated.
The Importance of Daily Cat Visits for Monitoring Health
Cats are masters at hiding their pain and discomfort, and it can be difficult to detect health issues until they become serious. Daily visits from a cat sitter can help to monitor the cat’s health and detect any potential issues early on. This can help to prevent serious health problems and ensure that the cat receives prompt medical attention if needed.